Spartan, an obstacle course race (OCR) and endurance brand, has announced its UK race calendar for the 2021 season, hosting five race weekends spread across three countries.
With Coronovirus disrupting much of the 2020 season, Spartan are set to bounce back stronger than ever; with two events still planned this year (Windsor, 10th and 11th October and South East, 7th and 8th November), as well as an incredibly exciting 2021 race calendar, there’s plenty for OCR (and trail running) fans to look forward to.
For the first time in three years, Spartan will feature two ‘Trifecta weekends’, with a Sprint (5K, 20 obstacles), Super (10K, 25 obstacles) and Beast (21K, 30 obstacles) all in one weekend. Whilst most racers will take on one distance over the weekend, some will be looking to earn their Trifecta by completing all 3 distances. Those who are successful will join the prestigious ‘Trifecta Tribe’ and earn a spot to represent the UK at the Trifecta World Championships in Sparta, Greece on 4-7 November 2021.
Each 2021 event will feature a variety of Spartan’s signature obstacles, including the infamous Spear Throw, Fire Jump, Barbed Wire Crawl and Hercules Hoist. With the help of local government officials and leading medical experts, Spartan have developed a set of guidelines that will ensure the welfare and protection of participants. Measures include: plenty of hand cleaning and sanitisation stations; temperature testing and screening for racers, volunteers and staff; reduced heat sizes; and strict capacity monitoring.
Spartan, who have launched at early bird pricing, have also announced that they will be providing a transparent ticket pricing policy for 2021 meaning that it will become apparent each time prices are set to rise, ensuring customers know how long they have until the next price increase. This comes as part of Spartan’s 2021 vision to give back to its loyal racers and expand and innovate its fitness footprint by entering the UK trail running market for the first time. Three 10K and Half-Marathon trail events are scheduled for 2021, all of which will feature stretches of rugged terrain, picturesque views and natural obstacles, such as river crossings, scrambles, log hops and much more.
Spartan UK and Ireland Managing Director, Matt Brooke said: “We are really excited to announce the schedule for the highly anticipated 2021 race season, showcasing five of our most stunning venues to our Spartan community as well as any new racers looking to join us along the way. It is our mission to inspire as many people as possible to realise their fitness goals by offering a variety of new and exciting experiences, such as our brand new trail series, each season. It’s been a difficult year for everyone but looking ahead to 2021 and what we have planned, we can’t wait for our loyal racers, partners and volunteers to experience the Spartan race day they have been longing for and deserve.”
Full 2021 race calendar:
- 19th/20th June: Glanusk Estate, in the heart of the Brecon Beacons, Wales – first Trifecta weekend, featuring Sprint (5K, 20 obstacles), Super (10K, 25 obstacles) and Beast (21K, 30 obstacles) races and inaugural 10K and Half-Marathon trail events
- 24th/25th July: Marston Lodge, Market Harborough – Sprint (5K, 20 obstacles) or Super (10K, 25 obstacles) and 10K trail events
- 25th/26th September: Hopetoun Estate, outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland – Sprint (5K, 20 obstacles), Beast (21K, 30 obstacles) and the only Ultra (50K, 60 obstacles) in the 2021 calendar for those who really want to test themselves
- 9th/10th October: Pippingford Park, South East England – Second Trifecta weekend, featuring Sprint (5K, 20 obstacles), Super (10K, 25 obstacles) and Beast (21K, 30 obstacles), as well as 10K and Half-Marathon trail events
- 11th December: Twickenham Stadium, London – second ever Spartan Stadion (5K, 20 obstacles) in the UK, following the record-breaking, sell-out inaugural event in 2019.
All venues will also host kids races, featuring smaller versions of Spartans signature obstacles.