BBC Sport has secured full broadcasting rights to the 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships in Glasgow and across Scotland, extending its long-term commitment to the coverage of major UCI events.
For the first time, 13 UCI World Championships will be held in the same location, creating the biggest cycling event ever and one of the largest events ever hosted in Scotland. The para-cycling competitions will also be fully integrated into the schedule for the first time.
The 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships will be held over 11 days (3-13 August 2023) and with the extensive coverage across TV, online and social platforms, viewers can expect to watch thousands of the world’s top cycling athletes competing.
The enhanced partnership will further extend the BBC’s existing commitment to the 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships enabling television viewers to watch the following UCI World Championships:
- Road (men’s road race from Edinburgh to Glasgow George Square, women’s road race from Loch Lomond to Glasgow George Square, and men’s and women’s time trials, Stirling),
- Para-cycling Road (Dumfries & Galloway),
- Track (Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Glasgow),
- Para-cycling Track (Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome, Glasgow),
- Mountain Bike Cross-country (Glentress Forest, Tweed Valley),
- Mountain Bike Downhill (Nevis Range, Fort William),
- Mountain Bike Marathon (Glentress Forest, Tweed Valley),
- BMX Freestyle Park (Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow),
- BMX Freestyle Flatland (Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow),
- BMX Racing (Glasgow BMX Centre, Glasgow),
- Trials (Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow),
- Indoor Cycling (Emirates Arena, Glasgow).
UCI President David Lappartient said: “BBC Sport already provides fantastic coverage of our UCI World Championships for track and road, and I am delighted our partnership will extend to encompass all disciplines at the 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships in Glasgow and across Scotland. This historic event will be of enormous interest to fans in Great Britain and all over the world, and BBC Sport will ensure they can enjoy the very best of these 11 days of action.”
BBC Director of Sport, Barbara Slater, said: “We are delighted to have such comprehensive coverage of a sport that continues to grow in popularity. Glasgow and the whole of Scotland are going to be a hub for cycling fans next August and we are proud to be the broadcast partner of the 2023 UCI Cycling World Championship and to showcase the event across the BBC.”
Chair of 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships, Paul Bush OBE, said: “We are thrilled BBC Sport has extended its commitment towards UCI events and shall cover the single biggest cycling event in history, the 2023 UCI Cycling World Championships. With unequalled history and experience in covering major global sporting events, we look forward to working with them to showcase the breadth of cycling disciplines on offer in Glasgow and across Scotland as we bring together 13 existing UCI World Championships into one mega event for the very first time in August 2023.”